Friday, April 18, 2014

MAIN THING

The main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing.  Sounds simple doesn't it?  I hate to admit that I am old enough to say "listen to what I am about to say because I am speaking to you from years of experience." But it's true, I can speak from experience.  As we go through life there are always battles for what the main thing in our life is really going to be.  When we get side tracked the main thing really isn't the main thing.  You might be asking, "what is the main thing?"  Without sounding too religious, let me say, it is keeping God first in all we do.  Not putting anything before Him.  IE. Our career, our money, our homes, our family, our recreation, our volunteering, our hobbies, or  anything we do that comes before Him.  The Bible says in Proverbs 3:6, "In everything you do, put God first, and He will direct you and crown your efforts with success."  This says, "IN EVERYTHING" God should be first.  I like what the Living Bible says in Matthew 6:33, "Your heavenly Father knows all of what you need and he will give them to you if you give him first place in your life and live as he wants you to." Thats the main thing!  Putting God first in all we do.  I can't say God has always been the main thing in my life.  I wanted Him to be, but I got side tracked sometimes in my journey.  My career at times was the main thing.  Desiring things for my kids above my desire for Him was the main thing.  Watching tv shows just to name a few.  We have to fight with our will to keep the main thing the main thing.  When we get close to the end of our life, what do we want others to see as the main thing?  First it should be we were true followers of Christ.  Secondly, we were good at showing our children what should be first in their life.  Today society gives us so many options to steal our time to where we put God second, third or even last.  When we consistantly put other things ahead of our prayer time, Bible study, or not having Him first in all we do, or when we place sports ahead of church time for our children, we are not keeping the main thing the main thing.  I don't think we will ever say on our death bed, "I wish I would have done this or that instead of praying and reading the Bible." Or... "I wish I hadn't denyed our kids some sports activity and instead made them go to church or Bible study."  Or... "I wished I had bought that big home to where I had to work to support the payment while denying God my time or investing in my children."  You see, it's hard to keep the main thing the main thing.  But let me encourage you.  Take an inventory of your time.  Where is God in that mix?  Can you truly say, "God is the main thing in my life?"  If not, re-priortize now!  Put God first in all you do........  So..... THE MAIN THING IS KEEPING THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING!!!  Note, the key word is keeping.   You have to make it happen.    

1 comment: